Friday, December 12, 2008

So close, yet so far!! (from the conclusion of the semester)

Hello to everyone from a stranger!

I know it's been ages since I have updated my blog, pretty much ever since the beginning of graduate school. I have a week left before the end of the semester, meaning finals week. At this point in time, I only have four exams to study for, two big papers to write, and one powerpoint presentation to put together. Good thing I'm a procrastinator and do better under pressure, last minute.

As far as graduate school goes, it's been a rough first semester. The requirements are that the first semester consists of core classes; economics, statistics, public law, and public management. Doesn't sound too bad, but I took most of these classes about a year ago in undergraduate school, so the repetition took away from the experience. Also, professors are just as unenthusiastic about teaching these core classes as we are to be taking them. So it was a lot of things stacked up to make the first semester not so great, but by next semester I will be taking more of my public management and comparative and international affairs classes, so it should be much more enjoyable. The lifesaver of the whole thing has been my Farsi language class. I'm taking the class for my benefit as I was never required to take a language. Considering I will probably end up working for the government at some point, with an international concentration, I figured learning Farsi was a safe bet and wouldn't do any harm. I love the class and the professor is great. Thanks to that the semester was bearable, but a break could never be more welcomed than this one will be next week.

For the small bit of life I get to enjoy outside of school, the horses have been keeping me plenty busy. I am still working out of Bannockburn Farm, riding young horses. I am lucky enough to be able to keep my horse Donner there, so I can ride him once I finish up with my other obligations. I have had little time to work with Rockette, but hopefully once the weather becomes a bit better, my goal is to get both Donner and Rockette ready for some schooling shows this year. We'll see how that goes.

As for my love life (I'm sure my family is dying to know as they are always keeping me in check ;-), no boys are distracting me from the many things that are already taking up my time. The last guy, we came to a consensus that it was better for the both of us to call it quits because of our obligations. Me with graduate school and work, him with his schooling in the Air Force. We still maintain contact and our friendship, so that is the most that I could ask for. The timing was just off to keep anything going.

Soo, some of you may be wondering what the winter break holds for me as for my travel addiction. As of now, after my 8am final this coming Friday, my lil' bro Matthew and I will be driving up for the family Christmas celebrations in Minnesota. Following that, I am hoping to make a trip to Australia. Of course, I don't know where, when or what I will be doing. I just know that I have time off and need to take advantage of flying benefits while I still have them. Stay tuned for more information when the time approaches.

I think that's all for now. If it isn't all for now it needs to be all for the time being. Of course this blog is an excuse to not be doing my papers so I really do need to get back to that. I'll attach a few pictures that have been taken since I last wrote, forever ago. Enjoy them and I hope that this finds everyone well!

Dad, mom and I enjoying the Bloomington Beerfest
Me riding a beautiful school horse during a lesson from Sue
My goofy goober Rockette enjoying a scratch
Macy smiling for the camera while playing in the snow
Athanasia being a ham for the snow photo shoot



No comments:

The Rock (1996) ... ...