Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Today, exactly three years ago.....

I returned from a year long deployment to Afghanistan. It's funny the things that can happen in such a short period of time. However, this "short" period of time feels like it was forever ago, especially when I think about everything that I have done in that short period. I have had an amazing life, but it really was different after returning from the deployment since I came back as such a different person. Being in the situation that I was during my time in Afghanistan I was forced to grow up a bit faster than your average 20 year old, but in the positive light it definitely shaped me into the person I have become today......

Besides all that, life is great in England.  I'm still having a great time in England, especially after the past weekend's excursion.  Without going into a lot of detail due to me needing sleep about now, I'll just take a short time to mention some of the major highlights of the trip.  It was a three day trip to the southwest part of England, which included stops in the cities of Bath, Salisbury, Glastonbury, Wells, and many other small towns in the area.  We were able to explore ancient ruins of old forts and castles, taste some amazing country apple (hard) cider, explore and stay in the city where Jane Austen had lived, and visited King Arthur's grave, just to name a few of the activities. 

I only have two days before departing Oxford for good.  My time here was great, but I'm looking forward to the next journey and returning to Indiana sometime soon.  As of now, it looks like after we finish up in Oxford, I'll be spending a day in London, two days in Scotland, and a few days at a friend of my parent's in England at a Welsh Cob (Section C) farm before heading back to Indiana.  I'll be in a hurry to return because it's time for the annual kuering at Bannockburn Farm, so I'll be jumping straight back into the real world. That's the best way to do it though!

Enough for now, it's bed time for me.  Thankfully tomorrow consists only of a review session before the final on Friday, so I get to sleep in a bit.  None-the-less, there is potential that it may be a long day so sleep is needed.  Cheers to three years at home and a great time in Oxford!

Oh yes, and if my brother does actually read my blog: Happy 20th Birthday Chad! Haha, you aren't a teenager anymore....

Stonehenge!
Our group exploring Bath for the first time. I just really liked this picture because it wasn't a posed shot...
Bath at night
The group at the cider farm
Doing cartwheels on the top of the mountain of Glastonbury Tor


1 comment:

Tdcompton said...

I'm so happy that you are having a great time, I want to visit Europe someday sooo badly! Enjoy Wales and the Cobs!! You can always stop in and visit Thunder while I am away, I'm sure he would like the company... I'm going to miss him so much while I am away, at least until I get him hauled up there next year. Be safe and enjoy your time there!!

The Rock (1996) ... ...